This baked mackerel is guilt-free in more ways than one
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 cloves garlic confit
2 roasted red peppers
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup white wine
360 ml passatta
1 packet parsley
5 mackerel, gutted and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or 230 degrees Celcius.
- Finely chop the roasted red peppers.
- Crush garlic confit.
- Warm three tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in pan. Add the roasted red peppers and sauté over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of white wine.
- Add crushed garlic confit.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the red pepper and garlic confit.
- Add 1 1/2 cup passata. Season with salt and pepper. Stir, then add one tablespoon of sugar. Let it simmer.
- Once the consistency reaches that of a thick tomato sauce, pour it into a wide pan and arrange the mackerel on top.
- Drizzle mackerel with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and top with parsley.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and starts to brown around the edges.