Can you put rice in a salad?
1 cup cooked brown rice
Canola oil for frying
Ground black pepper
2-inch knob of ginger, halved
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tbsp. hot sauce
- Heat oil in a pot. Test oil by dropping a grain of rice; it should bubble and quickly float to surface. Pour in the rest of the rice and fry for a few seconds. Stir after a minute or two of frying. Then, remove from oil once it has turned a nice golden brown color.
- Lay fried rice on a tray lined with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the dressing
- Combine the ginger and lemon juice in a small bowl. Let the lemon juice infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the crisp fried rice into a large bowl. Using a fork, break up any clumps. Add the cucumber, mint, cilantro, and leeks.
- Pour in a tablespoon or so of the infused lemon juice, leaving behind the ginger. Add hot sauce according to your preference.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and toss well.
This story was originally published in Northern Living, April 2017.