WATCH: Vask’s Chele Gonzales teaches us how to cook the first dish he ever made
30 ml olive oil
300 g onions
200 g green capsicum
200 g red capsicum
15 g spicy paprika
12 g Spanish paprika
120 g butter
300 g all-purpose flour
1.25 kg milk
500 ml cream
15 g tomato paste
750 g mussels (each cut into 3)
250 ml mussel stock
- Sauté onion in olive oil until it becomes translucent. Add green and red capsicum in medium to high heat until they become tender and soft but not caramelized.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Add butter and paprika then flour to make the roux.
- Slowly add milk and work the mixture into a fine paste.
- Add mussel stock, mussels, and slowly add the cream. Stir gently with a spatula and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, use a spoon or spatula to scoop the mixture into the mussel shells. Freeze.
Breading the mussels:
- Bread the mussels with flour.
- Dip in egg and then coat in bread crumbs.
- Deep fry mussels until golden brown.
This recipe was originally published in Southern Living, July 2017.