Red Beet Risotto with Flank Steak
1 tbsp. onion, minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/2 cup meat stock
1/4 cup arborio rice
3 tbsp. beetroot juice
2 beetroot bulbs
1/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. all-purpose cream
300 g flank steak
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the beetroot and cut them into small cubes (around 1 cm). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the beetroot, broccoli, and uncooked rice. Mix continuously.
- Pour the beetroot juice, cream, and meat stock and stir until mixed well. When the mixture is almost dry, add more stock and let it simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked.
- While waiting, season the steak and start heating a searing pan. Add olive oil and sear the steak for around 2 minutes each side. Once cool, slice into bite-sized pieces.
- When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and add Parmesan cheese into the saucepan for a creamier texture.
- Place the risotto on a plate, add the steak on top, then serve.
This recipe was originally published in Northern Living, February 2016.