Asparagus Coated with Squid Ink and Aioli Sauce
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. squid ink
1 cup vegetable oil
15 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup milk
- In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, baking soda, egg, squid ink, and salt until thick.
- Remove the dry ends of the asparagus.
- In a pan, heat the vegetable oil.
- While waiting, dip the asparagus into the squid ink mixture. Fry the asparagus until the squid ink coating becomes crisp.
For the aioli sauce
- In a pot, cook the chopped garlic and vegetable oil on a low fire for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a strainer, separate the oil from the garlic.
- Using a blender, combine milk and the cooked garlic.
- Pour the garlic oil into the blender little by little until mixture thickens.
- Add salt to taste.
This recipe was originally published in Northern Living, March 2016.