Try using spice-infused syrup in your sangria
1 pack strawberries
1 pack red grapes
1 pack mint leaves
Soda water (optional)
For the syrup
- Slice oranges and apples into preferred shape (wedges or small cubes are fine).
- Slice grapes and strawberries into small cubes.
- Slice lemon in half.
- Pour red wine into a pitcher or carafe.
- Put all sliced fruits into the pitcher. Squeeze lemon juice before putting lemon into the pitcher.
- Mix in syrup.
- Optional: Add soda water for fizz.
- Top with mint.
- Mix the drink, and leave in the refrigerator to cool.
To make the syrup:
- Combine one part brown sugar with one part water in a saucepan or pot. Mix in star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Stir the mixture until it reaches a boil, or until the sugar dissolves completely.
Note: A thin syrup is preferred for this sangria recipe.