For your next pilaf, use white native corn instead of rice
5 pcs. medium-sized white native corn
3 cups fresh straw mushrooms
10 pcs. cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp. butter
1/8 cup purslane (dampalit)
5 pcs. garlic clove, coarsely chopped
1 small red onion, thinly chopped
Salt and pepper
Pansit-pansitan for garnish
- Boil corn for 2 hours or until cooked.
- Let corn rest for about 20 minutes, then shred.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat then sauté onions and garlic until you start smelling the aroma. Add cherry tomatoes and sauté for about a minute. Add butter, mushrooms, and purslane. Continue sautéing.
- Add shredded corn and sauté for about 3 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock and let it simmer until the stock is almost gone.
This story originally appeared in Northern Living Heirloom Issue
TAGS: corn pilaf