Can you put rice in a salad?
1 cup cooked brown rice
Canola oil for frying
Ground black pepper
2-inch knob of ginger, halved
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tbsp. hot sauce
- Heat oil in a pot. Test oil by dropping a grain of rice; it should bubble and quickly float to surface. Pour in the rest of the rice and fry for a few seconds. Stir after a minute or two of frying. Then, remove from oil once it has turned a nice golden brown color.
- Lay fried rice on a tray lined with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the dressing
- Combine the ginger and lemon juice in a small bowl. Let the lemon juice infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the crisp fried rice into a large bowl. Using a fork, break up any clumps. Add the cucumber, mint, cilantro, and leeks.
- Pour in a tablespoon or so of the infused lemon juice, leaving behind the ginger. Add hot sauce according to your preference.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and toss well.
This story was originally published in Northern Living, April 2017.
After months in quarantine, we’ve learned that cocktail-making is best left to the pros. Here’s where to get them delivered
Don’t like tacos? The birria taco might change your mind
From Mang Larry’s to Bulilit Kitchen, here are some street food places that are open for takeout or delivery