Sea salt and seaweed soap
Dec 8, 2016 |
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Soap mold or silicone muffin mold
4.0 oz. lye (can be found in hardware stores or can be ordered online)
12 fl. oz. distilled water
7.2 oz. coconut oil
16.2 oz. olive oil
10.8 oz. palm oil
1.8 oz. shea butter
Natural sea salt
Fragrance oil of choice
- Pour distilled water into the plastic pitcher. Carefully add the lye and stir with a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- In the cooking pot, melt the coconut, olive, and palm oils and shea butter at medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat.
- Once lye mixture has cooled down to 95 to 100°F, slowly pour it into the melted oil, mixing with the stick blender as you go along. Be sure that the temperature of the oils is not higher than the lye mixture’s.
- As the mixture begins to incorporate, you can speed up the stick blender. Continue to blend until the mixture has the consistency of custard.
- Add in drops of your fragrance oil and natural coloring and mix them using the blender.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the soap mold with plastic wrap for easy removal later. Pour the soap mixture into your mold.
- Once filled, sprinkle sea salt and seaweed on top of the soap (you may also mix them in using the blender).
- Cover the soap mold with cardboard and let sit for at least 24 hours.
- Once hardened, remove soap from the mold and cut into bars.