Soothe sunburn the natural way
Apr 30, 2017 |
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
3 big aloe vera leaves
1/4 cup petroleum jelly
1 tbsp. cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
Drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
Jar with a lid
Garden gloves for protection
Small sharp knife or sharp scissors
- Pick out three big leaves from your aloe vera plant and carefully cut them neatly (close to the soil) using a knife or scissors.
- Allow the resin (the yellow substance that oozes from the cut leaf) to drain, and then discard it.
- Cut each leaf into segments and then cut each segment open. Scoop out the gel using a spoon until you have about 1/4 of a cup.
- Add the petroleum jelly, coconut oil, and lavender essential oil. Whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Place the gel in a jar and store in the refrigerator to cool.
Note: Do not use on open wounds, and only keep for a week.
This story was originally published in Northern Living, May 2015.