NAIA domestic flights to be transferred to Sangley Point, says Duterte
This will hopefully alleviate the land and air traffic congestion around the airport
Jun 11, 2019
This just in: Malacañang has stated that Sangley Point in Cavite will immediately start airline operations, as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte. NAIA’s “general aviation” or domestic flights will be rerouted to the former U.S. naval base in order to ease up the congestion at the busy airport.
This comes after the President “expressed dismay and hinted at [a] revamp” during a surprise inspection of NAIA Terminal 2 on Jun. 10, says presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
The plan to transfer flights from NAIA to Sangley Point came from transport secretary Arthur Tugade, who suggested it at the 38th Cabinet meeting on Jun 10 after the inspection. “Tugade reported that he had already initiated the testing of ferries that can operate from Mall of Asia to Sangley within 18-24 minutes,” says Panelo.
As for security concerns, the president reportedly wants the airport security to be handled “by a single entity, either from the military or civilian force to ensure passengers’ safety.”
Plans to turn Sangley Point into an international airport has long been proposed by the Cavite government, with a full feasibility study submitted to the country’s economic planners earlier this year. If approved, it will be aligned with China’s “One Belt, One Road” policy.
Featured photo courtesy of Pixabay
Get more stories like this by subscribing to our newsletter here.
‘The land rose in one part but sank in another:’ Batangas a month after Taal eruption
More 10 to 14-year-old girls are getting pregnant—and most of their “partners” are older than them
7 tips to effectively manage your time, according to young professionals
Manila Summer Pride is a march for tourism, not LGBTQ+ rights
Cebu-based manufacturer Nature’s Legacy achieves ‘B Corp’ certification for its sustainability efforts