Spicy tuna salad sandwich
2 6 oz. cans of tuna flakes in vegetable oil
1 1⁄2 tbsp. finely chopped onions
1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped capers
1/3 cup steamed and roughly chopped broccoli
1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño
2 1⁄2 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
2 1⁄2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup salad greens, preferably arugula and baby rocket
2 croissants or any crusty bread
Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain tuna. Make sure to drain as much liquid as you can.
- Place tuna, onions, capers, jalapeño, and broccoli in a bowl.
- Add Dijon mustard, Sriracha sauce, and half of the red wine vinegar. (You may add some more if you want a sour bite.)
- Season with salt and pepper; mix gently so as not to break the tuna pieces.
- Slice croissants crosswise in half and toast until just golden brown.
- Place salad greens in a bowl and toss in olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place salad greens on croissants then add tuna. Top with remaining croissant halves and serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published in Southern Living, August 2014.