Have an early taste of summer with this lavender-lychee sorbet
2 cups water
1 pc. mango
4 pcs. strawberry
2 cups basil
1 pc. garlic clove
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. dried lavender
1 can lychee
3 cups sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Heat two cups of water with dried lavender for 30 minutes to infuse the flavor.
- Strain the lavender-infused water and add sugar until it thickens.
- Blend the lychee until liquid in consistency.
- Mix the lavender-infused water, lychee juice, and lemon juice in a bowl. Cover with cling wrap and put it in the freezer for about 12 hours.
- For the pesto, blend the basil, garlic, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Slice the mango and strawberries into small cubes.
- Mix the fruits and pesto sauce in a bowl.
- Once the lavender-infused water and lychee is frozen, blend the mixture until smooth. Place it in a stainless steel bowl and let it set in the freezer for around 30 minutes.
- Place the mangoes and strawberries with pesto in a cup or dessert plate and top with the sorbet.
This story was originally published in Northern Living, June 2015.