The secret for a more flavorful chicken dinner? Roast it in a Dutch oven
1 whole chicken
2 large potatoes
2 large white onions
300 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
200 ml white wine
1 packet of fresh thyme
300 ml chicken stock
- Pre-heat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius.
- Clean and trim the chicken. Make sure cavity is clean and dry.
- Cut vegetables into big wedges.
- Season chicken cavity with sea salt and pepper.
- Stuff with lemon, onion, garlic and butter.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- In the cocotte, quickly caramelize onions and carrots. Deglaze with wine.
- Add the chicken stock, followed by the potatoes.
- Place the chicken into the cocotte, and add more lemon juice.
Add more butter, then place the lid on the cocotte and bake at 120 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add more butter on the chicken, raise oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and let it roast until the skin is golden.
- Once cooked, let chicken rest, remove vegetables and deglaze cocotte with the rest of stock. Bring to boil, simmer and reduce to desired consistency.
- Carve chicken and serve with roasted veg and jus on the side.
Watch how to make roast chicken en cocotte here: