LOOK: Golden Retriever gives birth to a green puppy
The puppy is adorable, but dyeing your pet still isn't
Jul 20, 2017
The Sun U.K. recently reported a puppy who was born green. According to the tabloid newspaper, the puppy was born from a three-year-old golden retriever named Rio, who recently gave birth to a litter of seven boys and one girl.
Rio’s owner, Louise Sutherland was surprised when one of her pet’s pups came out mint green instead of the signature blonde coat of their breed. Sutherland has since then christened the puppy as Forest.
After some research and a visit to their local vet, Sutherland was assured that the rare and unusual occurrence was completely natural.
Apparently, Forest’s unique coat is caused by a bile pigment called biliverdin found in the placenta of dogs. This pigment can stain the puppy’s coat when it mixes with the mother’s amniotic fluid, resulting in adorable creatures like Forest.
Hold your horses though, and don’t go making green dogs a new fad just yet. Little Forest isn’t permission to go on dyeing your pet’s fur coat.
Again, Forest’s green locks were the result of a natural occurrence. Dyeing your pet’s fur through artificial means is still strongly frowned upon by veterinarians and the pet-owning community in general. In fact, here are some of the factors and dangers to consider before you go on getting your furry companions all dolled up.
Is the dye safe for your pet?
Just because a product is safe for you doesn’t mean it’s safe for your pet too. There are certain ingredients used in face and body paint for humans that may be harmful for your beloved dog or cat. There is a dye brand named Pet Paint that claims to be safe for use of animals, but the brand is yet to release any significant study backing their claim.
Overall, we advise you purchase and use with caution. Try out the dye on a small portion of your pet first to check for any bad reactions before doing any elaborate design. Watch out for any sign of allergies or possible irritation.
Consider their grooming habits
When considering changing the color of your pet’s coat, think about their grooming habits as well. Even though a dye may be safe to apply on your pet, it might not be safe for their ingestion. Intake of unsafe dye may cause distressing digestive upset or toxicity, and grooming is an instinct for your pet so it will get in their mouths.
Consider the stress-levels and comfort of your dog
Once it’s clear that it is physically safe to apply the dye, the next step is to check your pet’s reaction to the application process. Are they relaxed or do they seem agitated? If it’s the latter, then you might want to skip the whole endeavour. In truth, it’s the owners who get the joy out of dyeing their pets anyway, not the pet themselves.
Photos courtesy of People.com
Where to buy fresh produce straight from farmers at lower prices? At malls, believe it or not
Other than haircuts, here are other salon and barbershop services now allowed in GCQ, MGCQ
Despite COVID-19 increasing numbers, non-essential outbound travel ban has been lifted
No more ‘fresh’ or ‘late’ cases: This is how DOH will report COVID-19 cases by this week
DOTr says no more MRT-3 trips for next 5 days, too many infected personnel