Put together a Mexican breakfast with eggs, tortillas, and beans
1 medium red onion
3 cloves of garlic
4 red chili peppers
1 can of baked beans
1 medium bell pepper
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of paprika
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2-3 pcs medium flour tortilla
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Sauté onions, garlic, chili, beans, and bell pepper.
- Add cumin and paprika and continue cooking.
- Add tomato paste and continue sautéing for three minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and simmer until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Make a well and crack the egg in the middle of the beans. Cover with lid and cook the egg until it’s done. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cut tortillas into triangles then deep fry until golden and crispy. Serve along with the baked beans.
This recipe was originally published in Northern Living, January 2015.