In this galette, tomatoes—even overripe ones—are the star. It’s also vegan
Entrepreneur and cook Aua artfully stacks tomatoes of different states of ripeness against an Italian seasoned crust brushed with vegan egg wash
Oct 19, 2020
Tomatoes are notoriously tricky to stock. Once they ripen to a plump redness and peak juiciness, there’s almost nothing you can do about it but process it as sauce or incorporate it ever so discreetly into a dish, its once distinguishable color and taste gone in the melange of flavors.
In cook Aua’s book though, tomatoes die a dignified (culinary) death: a galette expertly topped with tomatoes of all sizes, color and states of ripeness—a vegan one at that.
Watch her make vegan tomato galette for our Comfort Kitchen series here:
View this post on Instagram
Quarantine has been a continuous journey in finding new ways to utilize produce—including tomatoes—in every way possible. That’s why we couldn’t be happier when we found out entrepreneur and cook @lifewithaua has a fool-proof tomato galette recipe—a vegan one at that! In this episode, she shows us how to artfully stack tomatoes and how to create a vegan egg wash. What recipe should we feature next? Who do you want to see in #NSComfortKitchen?
This recipe makes one medium-sized galette
For the crust:
1 1/2 cup wholemeal flour or plain flour (00 if white flour)
1/2 cup ice cold water
1 shot vodka
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
For the vegan egg wash:
1 tbsp unsweetened almond/soy/oat milk
1/2 tbsp olive oil
For the toppings:
Fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180° C or 356°F
- Make the crust by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl until it forms a dough. Knead and add a bit of flour if it’s too wet. Season with salt and add dried herbs
- Knead some more until gluten develops. Then use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a flat circle or oval shape. Place on a baking sheet pan
- Drain excess liquid from sliced tomatoes and assemble on top of the crust. Leave space on the edge for folding to create a rustic looking crust
- Season with salt and pepper and bake the galette for about 35-45 minutes or until golden brown
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool a bit. Garnish with fresh basil and arugula for extra flavor. Cut and serve. Enjoy!
Nolisoli Comfort Kitchen comes out Monday and Thursday nights on our IGTV
Get more stories like this by subscribing to our weekly newsletter here.
The Sunny Side Cafe is having a Manila pop-up and we’re absolutely excited
To bake your own Mo’ Cookies, get these ready-to-bake packs
New ramen concept from the makers of Wrong Ramen and other new restaurants to try this week
Here’s where you can find DIY kits of all your favorite meals from The Grid
These are the only Christmas cakes you need