COVID-19’s new casualty: Heritage sites restoration funds for 2021
According to NHCP Deputy Executive Director Alvin Alcid, the removed appropriations for the agency’s purchase of goods and services amount to P300 million
Jul 23, 2020
National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) Deputy Executive Director for Programs and Projects Alvin Alcid revealed on July 22 that the restoration fund for the country’s heritage sites was cut from the 2021 national budget.
This budget cut was made in order to allocate more funds for the government’s COVID-19 response. According to Alcid, the removed appropriations for the agency’s purchase of goods and services amount to P300 million.
Prior to this, funds amounting to approximately P100 million for NHCP was previously realigned for COVID-19 response.
“We wrote to the Department of Budget and Management for an appeal para ibalik ’yung budget para sa capital outlay, specifically for restoration of heritage structures,” the NHCP deputy executive director told the Senate Committee on Basic Education, Arts and Culture on July 22.
Should the appeal fail to change DBM’s decision, Alcid said that NHCP will reach out to local government units for help. In the meantime, they will resort to “delaying” the deterioration of heritage sites instead.
According to the National Budget Memorandum No. 136 issued on May 21, DBM proposed a P4.335 trillion budget for 2021.
Header photo by Niño Jesus Orbeta for Inquirer.net
Get more stories like this by subscribing to our weekly newsletter here.
LOOK: Face masks feature Lumban, Laguna’s hand embroidery tradition—and it’s less than P500
To know how Filipinos are coping in the pandemic, look at what they’re eating
The first online Art in the Park has virtual portraiture sessions and mixed media exhibits
Moro filmmakers, this film festival needs your stories to promote Bangsamoro heritage
Load up your carts. We’re auctioning items from Rajo Laurel, Ito Kish and more at Nolisoli Selections