Fruit and nut power bar
6 ounces prunes
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 cups cashew nuts
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (at room temperature)
4 tbsp. unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. honey
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup orange
1/4 cup banana
1/2 tsp. calamansi zest
2 tbsp. calamansi juice
1. Preheat oven at 180°C. Prepare a 4×4” non-stick baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, combine and pulse buckwheat flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and one cup of cashew nuts for two minutes until the nuts are finely ground. Add oil, butter, coconut sugar, and honey. Lastly, pulse the shredded coconut.
3. Transfer the coconut oat mixture into the baking pan. Press the mixture down on the pan until it gets packed and compressed.
4. Pulse the prunes, calamansi juice, and calamansi zest in the food processor until the mixture becomes smooth.
5. Spread the prune purée over the coconut oat mixture evenly.
6. Chop the remaining 1/4 cup cashew nuts and spread it over the baking pan. Add orange, banana, shredded coconut, and remaining prunes.
7. Bake for around 15 to 20 minutes.
This recipe was originally published in Southern Living, January 2017.